I don't want to drive up to the pearly gates in a shiny sports car, wearing beautifully, tailored clothes, my hair expertly coiffed, and with long perfectly manicured fingernails. I want to drive up in a station wagon that has mud on the wheels from taking kids to scout camp. I want to be there with grass stains on my shoes from mowing Sister Schenck's lawn. I want to be there with a smudge of peanut butter on my shirt from making sandwiches for a sick neighbor's children. I want to be there with a little dirl under my fingernails from helping to weed someone's garden. I want to be there with children's sticky kisses on my cheeks and tears of a friend on my shoulder. I want the Lord to know I was really here and that I really lived."
~Marjorie Pay Hinckley

Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Ashlynn's First Day of Headstart!

Ashlynn went to her very first day of Headstart today. Yesterday they had an open house so that we could bring the kids to class and let them get farmiliar with things. We stayed for about an hour and a half. When we did leave, Ashlynn really didn't want to go. I had to coax her away with the promise of chicken nuggets and fries for lunch. (A really treat because we never eat out.) Then, all last night, she kept asking, "Mom, is it night time yet?" After her asking me this I finally asked, "Why?" And her only reply was, "Cause I'm going to school in the morning." So.... When morning finally came, she was so excited. She woke up at 7:00, ate breakfast, and wanted to go NOW. I tried to explain to her that she didn't need to be there until 11:00 but she didn't understand, so I had to break it down for her. "You have to take a bath first.... Now you have to get dressed.... Let's go do your hair.... Now Hailey's hair. Okay, now Mommy needs to get ready, go watch cartoons until I let you know I'm done." Boy was she excited when we were FINALLY ready to go. She kept telling Hailey "You and Mom are going to drop me off. All by myself!" I think she was really proud of the fact that she got to do this one thing all alone. She sure is growing up. If you can't tell, I am really proud of Ashlynn. She is getting so big. I am so excited for her to really start learning. I know with out a doubt that she's going to be a great student. It was also really nice to be able to spend time alone with Hailey. We ran some errands, ate corn dogs at the A&W, and then went to the library and checked out some books to read together. I think she had a fun time alone with Mommy too, but when we were done in town she told me, "I want to go get my Ashy." Once she realizes that Ashlynn is going to be gone a lot now, it will be interesting to see how she handles things. I think we'll have fun together!


3 comments:

Elder Larkin said...

Oh my gosh! She looks so big and so excited for school! She is so cute! I want to give her a big hug and tell her how proud of her I am. You better do it for me! I love you Ash!

kate said...

Your baby is in preschool? No! She can't be that old. Crazy! :)

Always, Forever, NO MATTER WHAT said...

Here I am sitting here reading all this with a huge proud smile on my face. I can't beleave that my Ashy girl is in pre-school. Sorry, but she's my Ashy too. :) Tell here how pround Aunt Jana is of her, and give her a big off the ground hug from me. Oh man... I miss you guys so much.