I don't want to drive up to the pearly gates in a shiny sports car, wearing beautifully, tailored clothes, my hair expertly coiffed, and with long perfectly manicured fingernails. I want to drive up in a station wagon that has mud on the wheels from taking kids to scout camp. I want to be there with grass stains on my shoes from mowing Sister Schenck's lawn. I want to be there with a smudge of peanut butter on my shirt from making sandwiches for a sick neighbor's children. I want to be there with a little dirl under my fingernails from helping to weed someone's garden. I want to be there with children's sticky kisses on my cheeks and tears of a friend on my shoulder. I want the Lord to know I was really here and that I really lived."
~Marjorie Pay Hinckley

Monday, October 13, 2008

Are You Afraid Of The Big Bad Wolf?


What do you do with a child that is all of the sudden afraid of the dark?
Hailey will not go to bed. She keeps screaming at the top of her lungs and saying "I'm crying, I need my Mommy." It's so sad but at the same time, it's sooo funny! But,... we have NO idea what to do about it. She has never done this before. I think that I am going to try putting a picture of Jesus up on her wall so that she can wake up and remember that Jesus loves her and is watching over her.

7 comments:

kate said...

Yes.. I am afraid of THAT big bad wolf. Who wouldn't be?

Are you coming down before the baby?

Elder Larkin said...

Tanner went through this too. Get her a night light (if she doesn't have one already). Keep reassuring her that her room is safe and that she is safe there. Say prayers with her and let her know that Heavenly Father will watch over her and keep her safe too, and that Mommy and Daddy are close by. Get her a stuffed animal to sleep with. We used "Froggy" with Tanner and he finally got over it.

Unknown said...

So,... you'd think that all of those things would work but let me tell you, there's NOTHING we didn't try. She finally went to bed at 11:30 and slept till 12:30 then was up (Seriously) 5 times an hour after that until 4:30 in the morning when she finally slept till 9:30 from pure exaustion. I said a prayer with her, long after we had already said bed time prayers) then I put a bunny and her monkey next to her bed, at head level, so she could see them, and then surrounded her with her two dogs while she clung to her tiger and kept saying, "My Carter will save me." (this is what she's named her tiger) She had a night light in her room too, and I ended up switching it out for a brighter one, thinking it would help. It didn't. Then, some time in the night I told her that only big girls get to sleep in beds and I threw her pillow and blanket on the floor next to my side of the bed. She thought this was a great idea for about 2 mins until she got cold, and then said, "I want to sweep in my bed." But 10 mins. later was out again. Aaarrr! I don't know what to do. Although she's had a runny nose and I've been giving her Zyrtec. Tonight she's getting Benadryl instead! We'll see if that helps!!

Always, Forever, NO MATTER WHAT said...

You sound plenty worn out. That truely suck that she won't stay asleep. I did put your family's name in the temple. Hopefully she will start sleeping soon.

Elder Larkin said...

Ahhh...Benedryl! That should actually help, and it's non-habit forming so it can't hurt her. I take a benedryl when I can't sleep too.

Josh and Nat said...

Josh said NYquil. I don't recommend it, he says the same thing for my little one. I just think you should sing to her. Your a fabulous mom and I'm sure you will figure out something. You would be who I would call if I had the same problem. Hey are you gonna be up for a Christmas party the first weekend in December? Let me know. How are you feeling anyway?

aprilalexus said...

Carter was doing the same thing Chel.He kept telling me theres a spirit in his room,Im totaly freaked out.I was tired of being up all night so I put him in bed with me BAD IDEA now he doesnt want to sleep in his bed :( I think its just a stage they go through.