I don't want to drive up to the pearly gates in a shiny sports car, wearing beautifully, tailored clothes, my hair expertly coiffed, and with long perfectly manicured fingernails. I want to drive up in a station wagon that has mud on the wheels from taking kids to scout camp. I want to be there with grass stains on my shoes from mowing Sister Schenck's lawn. I want to be there with a smudge of peanut butter on my shirt from making sandwiches for a sick neighbor's children. I want to be there with a little dirl under my fingernails from helping to weed someone's garden. I want to be there with children's sticky kisses on my cheeks and tears of a friend on my shoulder. I want the Lord to know I was really here and that I really lived."
~Marjorie Pay Hinckley

Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Mobis

Colby~
I thought of you on Sunday. And today, reading Cindy's blog, reminded me that I needed to say hi to you. It makes me sad knowing that. That I have to be reminded. It's not that I've forgotten, I see your face everyday, all around the house. It's just that sometimes I have to be reminded to remember. The girls even know your face. They know that their Uncle Colby is up in heaven with their Grandma Nana, and that someday they will see you again. I wish you could meet my beautiful girls, I wish they could know their uncle, and I think knowing this would make you sad. I want you to know that I love you. I love you more than you know. There's a song that reminds me of you and ever time I hear it I cry. But I'm happy. Happy that you could find some peace, happy that mom and dad no longer have to worry. But still, I wonder.....
Who You'd Be Today~

Sunny days seem to hurt the most.
I wear the pain like a heavy coat.
I feel you everywhere I go.
I see your smile,
I see your face,
I hear you laughin' in the rain.
I still can't believe you're gone.
It ain't fair: you died too young,
Like the story that had just begun,
But death tore the pages all away.
God knows how I miss you,
All the hell that I've been through,
Just knowin' no-one could take your place.
An' sometimes I wonder,
Who'd you be today?
Would you see the world?
Would you chase your dreams?
Settle down with a family,
I wonder what would you name your babies?
Some days the sky's so blue,
I feel like I can talk to you,
An' I know it might sound crazy.
It ain't fair: you died too young,
Like the story that had just begun,
But death tore the pages all away.
God knows how I miss you,
All the hell that I've been through,
Just knowin' no-one could take your place.
An' sometimes I wonder,
Who you'd be today?
Sunny days seem to hurt the most.
I wear the pain like a heavy coat.
The only thing that gives me hope,
Is I know....
I'll see you again some day.

5 comments:

kate said...

I to thought of your family on Sunday. I miss seeing Mobis on the front porch playing your dad's flute! :)

Always, Forever, NO MATTER WHAT said...

So, you checked out Cindy's blog & not mine? You suck. I posted first. J/K I miss him so much. I'm sure he knows your girls. He got to play with them before we did.:) LUCKY!!!

Elder Larkin said...

I just love this song and it will always remind me of Colby. When I logged onto Jana's blog and heard the song, my heart recognized it, before I even knew what her post was about. It made me cry instantly. I really love our family. I miss you all.

Justin, Emily,Nyah & Anastyn said...

Wow Chels, great blog. Made me cry and smile at the same time. I hope your doing well;your girls are beautiful, just like their mom. Your newest one looks just like you!!

Anonymous said...

Dear Chel,
The new picture of Alyssia is darling. She is so cute! We miss her and the rest of you so much. I am so glad we get to talk on the phone often or it would be unbearable. On Sunday we wondered how many of the family remembered Colby and I guess everyone did along with us. Yes, we do miss him so much. Wish I could call him like I call you, but he is still a part of our lives and always will be. On Christmas we felt his presence a couple of times! Christmas Eve I was saying goodbye to my cousin at the door and the Christmas Bells Music box that plays Christmas Carols turned on all by itself and began to play Christmas songs. I wondered about Colby being up to something, but sort of dismissed it until next day--Christmas morning--the alarm clock in your old bedroom went off at 8:20 in the morning and the radio was playing Christmas songs again! We think he was just saying, OK mom and Dad, time to get up! Merry Christmas from Heaven! It is unbelieveable that it has been 51/2 years. Time is passing us by so quickly. We sure love our family.
Love Mom and Dad